The strength of any organization is based on the commitment of its volunteers. Like any other minor sports organization, Brampton Hockey Inc. is always seeking volunteers to help run its many programs. Volunteer opportunities range from serving on the Board of Directors to helping out at the annual Used Equipment Sale. Opportunities based on the amount of time an individual has available to commit are out there.
Here are some ideas as to how you can help out Brampton Hockey:
- Board of Directors – As a member of the organization, you are eligible to run for election on the Brampton Hockey Board of Directors. Elections are held at the Annual General Meeting (AGM), which takes place on the third Wednesday of April each year. The Board consists of the Executive, 22 board members, half of which are elected each year at the AGM for a two year term, as well as 3 parent reps elected in the fall after all teams are formed. Nominations for the Board elections must be filed two weeks prior to the AGM, forms for which will be made available here in March for that year. The Board traditionally meets every second month. Please note that, to be eligible to run for election to the Executive Committee an individual must be a member of the Board of Directors for at least one of the last 5 years.
- Member of a Committee – It is at the committee level where the new ideas for the organization originate. Each committee is represented on the Executive by a Vice-President who takes forward the recommendations of his/her committee. Committees are made up of members of the Board of Directors and interest members of the Brampton Hockey. Email [email protected] if you are interested in serving on a committee. Among the list of committees are: Representative League, Intra-City League, Recreational League, Hockey Development, Special Events, Planning, Risk Management, Officiating and Parent Rep. Committees usually meet once a month during the hockey season.
- Coach / Assistant Coach / Trainer – At the Recreational League level, we are always seeking interested parties to fill these positions. Application forms are available on the Brampton Hockey website. Brampton Hockey provides clinics for all of these positions so that all have the required Hockey Canada certification.
- Special Events – Over the course of the hockey season, Brampton Hockey has a number of special events. These include the Used Equipment sale in September, the Bob Giroux Tournament in December, the Silver Stick® and the Neville Woolridge Tournaments at Christmas, the Weekend of Champions at the end of the season and the Annual General Meeting in April. All of these events provide volunteers an opportunity to participate in the event and work around their schedule. If you would like to be a volunteer but can only commit to a couple of days or a weekend over the course of the season, these are great opportunities for you to assist the organization.
- Convenors – Convenors play an important role in the operation of each league. These individuals provide direction for the coaches of each team in terms of answering questions, directing the question to the appropriate person(s), making sure games start on time etc. Although not always required, convenors attempt to be at the rink each weekend for their respective division’s games. Convenors assist at the Recreational, Intra-City and Representative League levels.
- Parent Rep – According to the Brampton Hockey Resolutions, all teams are required to select a Parent Rep. The Parent Rep serves as the go-between for the coaching staff and the parents. Each league has 2-3 parent rep meetings each year and each league’s elected Head Parent Repserves on the Brampton Hockey Inc. Board of Directors.
If any of these opportunities interest you, please print and complete the Volunteer Information Request Form
and return it to the Brampton Hockey office
. For further information, please email [email protected]
and we will direct your email to the appropriate person(s).